Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Woes Update

-5w3d/1m1w-

An update from my visit with the lactation nurse...

She weighed Tristan, got a base line.... then weighed him after feeding on each side... and combined, he got almost 2oz! That was after not feeding off of me for 4 hours!!! So, definitely a milk production problem :(

But she gave me something to try... and hopefully it will work well...

To grow ... she calculated that he needs to have 8 feedings of 3oz...
So, I'm going to BF then give him a bottle of formula and/or pumped breast milk to equal about 3oz.  Then give him a couple minutes, burp him, etc to see if he is still hungry... feed more as needed.
Then after each feeding pump each breast for just 10 minutes.

In addition, she says that babies at this age shouldn't really be sleeping thru the night... and my milk supply might be taking a hit because of it... they aren't being stimulated at night. So, I need to feed him every 4 hours at night. We are figuring 11pm, 3am and 7 am... then every 2hr40min or so during the day... give or take, nothing is perfect...

Also, continue taking my fenugreek and possibly add blessed thistle as well.

I also need to get bigger flanges for my pump...

So, that's what I found out. That's what we are going to try....
I hate to feed on a schedule... but it's better than every hour! That's just unreasonable!

No comments:

Post a Comment